[Lugcomms] [Linux-aus] LUG IRC Meet of 29 Sept ... and next meet on 27 Oct

Steve Dalton linux at steve.dalts.net
Sun Oct 25 16:38:17 EST 2009

Hi All

Where did the Barcamp suggestion come from?...I'd be keen to have a crack at
getting a national one going. I usually alternative between Brisbane and
Gold Coast camps - but we have enough critical mass to do one in each on the
same day... (with possible linkup).

Anzac weekend sounds good... Does that mean Saturday 24th April (and Sunday
for any overnighters)

There is a barcampaustralia list - perhaps we should continue discussion
there:

http://groups.google.com/group/barcampaustralia

Steve

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Don Knowles <donakk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry it took me so long, there's been a few things going on.
> Below is an extra short extract, attached is the log duly hacked to
> minimise.
> If anyone wants the full log, email me.
>
> I won't be at the next IRC meet, it's my wedding anniversary ... but would
> be my last if I spent a couple
> of hours in front of the PC.
> I will however leave mine on, so will be able to provide secretarial
> services as usual.
> -------------------------
> Extracted:
> attended <donak> <KatteKrab> <jhesketh__> <quail> <jamesmtechy> <dns53>
> <gorilla> <andyg> <subsonicsys> <lyte> <noisymime>
>
> Topics:
> 1. What did you do for Software Freedom Day?
> 2. How's the podcasting going? Can we contribute some material to the
> person working on it? (sorry, can't get to my notes)
> 3. possible national barcamp weekend
> 4. resources for new LUGs - Mawson Lakes LUG
>
> <offtopic, but interesting -ED.>
>
> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/156960,pirate-party-to-contest-next-federal-election.aspx
> that three strikes law is gona kill all us linux users
> file sharing is how the linux community survives
> evry1 of us will be baned from the net for just updating our systems how
> ridicoulus is that
> i have downloaded a bit off legaltorrents.com
> when we download games theyl say its a strike even if they are free linux
> games and or software its still considerd part of filesharing
> so by mentioning it i assume you have put your signature to start the
> party? you could ask in their irc room
>
> 1. What did you do for Software Freedom Day?
> the SFD event at Goolwa was good but little slow, we got ~40 people through
> the door, and we setup a video call with Mt Gambier
> http://softwarefreedomday.org/melb - we had a huge day!
> we at Central Qld LUG had ours a couple of weeks early, at CQUNI open day
> Didn't have one in Sydney :(
> it was very poorly organized here in sa imo
> Suggestions (on creating a good event)? start organising at least 6 months
> in advance...preferably 9 months
>

> 2. How's the podcasting going? Can we contribute some material to the
> person working on it?
> what is the idea of the podcast? podcast: talking about Linux, streaming or
> downloadable audio, an online radio show that you download, you could
> download an abc radio program for example
> please send me an email to dns_server-at-yahoo-dot-com, tell me about your
> lug, the email of the organiser, and any useful info like what the next
> meeting time and topic is
> i'd be happy to have a co host, ideas, theme music, art work
> Email all LUGs and ask for a 30-60 sec audio segment from them about what
> they are doing in the coming month.
> once you get rolling, delegate regional news.. ie. allow someone in each
> state to collect local LUG news.
> [...]

I did have a signature, but the dog ate it.

google/googlewave:steve.dalton | skype:spidieman | twitter: @spidie