[Lugcomms] Was there meant to be a meeting?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sun Feb 1 17:02:41 EST 2009

2009/2/1 Donna Benjamin <donna at cc.com.au>:
> On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 17:49 +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>
>> We first need a regular, predictable schedule for meetings. We should determine:
>>
>> * the frequency of the meetings (weekly, monthly, etc.)
>> * what time and day they go on
>>
>> Weekly is probably too frequent, but monthly leaves too much time
>> between discussions. How about fortnightly? I'm thinking every second
>> Wednesday at 8:30pm.
>
> What's wrong with the last Tuesday of the month we've had so far?
> At 8pm EST 7:30 CST 6pm WST (10am UTC) ?

Ah, I totally forgot that there was a schedule in place, since I've
almost never been able to make that time slot. Unfortunately I don't
expect that to change.

> Do we really need to meet more frequently than once a month? If there is
> a burning need for discussion between meetings we have this mailing
> list...

Fair enough. This list should be sufficient for in-between discussions.

> I already have a LUG meeting plus its associated committee meeting, am
> setting up a monthly Sugar club get together, helping Sarah Stokely with
> Girl Geek Dinners and am also co-ordinating an OSIA meeting every 2
> months...
>
> I imagine most of the lugcomms peeps have similar schedules.  Committing
> to one IRC meeting a month is a low hudle to participate committing to
> two is starting to encroach on the rest of my life.

I can totally empathise. I've got SLUG (+ committee), LA (+ council)
and a pile of other things on the table. Keeping the hurdle low is
vital.

The reason for bringing up the idea was to see if more frequent,
shorter meetings might be a better way to go rather than to pile
everything over a month into one meeting. I'd actually prefer the
latter, although as mentioned above the current schedule is
unfortunately not of use to me. Given that a primary goal of mine for
being on both the SLUG and LA committees this year is to improve
LA-LUG relations, this is a little disappointing. On the other hand, I
fully appreciate that finding a mutually-agreeable time is
extraordinarily difficult.

--
Bring choice back to your computer.
http://www.linux.org.au/linux