[Lugcomms] LCA - CFP and 2010 bids

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Wed Aug 6 10:37:39 EST 2008

Reminders:

Call for papers for LCA09 closes on Friday.
(they may extend... apparently it's 'traditional'
 - but if they've got enough submissions - they may not)

http://linux.conf.au/cfp

Urge you to tap good speakers you've had at your LUG to submit a paper -
I've heard a rumour that tassie is looking for local flavour...  and
boost your members chances by making sure there's stuff on your LUG
website about their talk - experience counts ;)

And - the call for bids for LCA2010 has gone out...

If you're thinking about bringing LCA to your neck of the woods in the
next 2-3 years - consider getting a bid together now.

You may not be ready to submit a bid document by Aug 29 - but it will be
useful to start pulling things together now.

My tip - contact your local convention/visitor/tourist bureau - they may
have a bidding service. Many local governments fund offices to help win
events like LCA for their region - as it does bring in the dosh - sorry
'economic activity'.  And LCA is about $400 - $500k worth of business in
itself, not counting associated stuff like extra food, beverage,
accomodation, sight-seeing, travel etc.

I can say it is hard work, over a long period of time...
 but is also deeply satisfying. :)

- D.

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director