[LCP]Transforming a linux machine into a breakout box (Serialprogramming related question)

James Attard james_attard at ieee.org
Wed Sep 3 21:16:01 UTC 2003

Letme rephrase the phrase "post sample codes" into "give example with a code"

As regards to "time donation", I've been contributing in several other
mailing lists and forums. Although i'm 20 years old, I have quite
extensive knowledge in linux c programming so although the primary reason
which brought me here is because i needed help to my query, being here
doesn't mean that i do not contribute to answer other's questions and help
them as far as a i know. Serial programming is still rather new to me, so
I'm exploring it in the best way i can. Being self-taught, i think that
mailing lists and forums about the subject can be quite useful. So don't
interpret me as if i'm asking "how the hell do i make my pbx to work",
after all this is just a school project. On the other hand, you would
still end up asking me the application... So I introduced my question by
stating my application. Dunno, maybe we come from different cultures.

Please let's not deviate the subject, I'm asking for the tricks which a
serial programmer must face, and which are not found in books. For
instance, i got another problem - How can i send data to a serial port
upon receipt of a control signal? -> again, i have to re-state the
scenario to make myself clear - the billing system (which is simply a
monitor of all the telepone traffic, and don't get the illusion of
"money") sends the DC1 signal and i have to provide it with calling
records. I can fake calling records to experiment with it, but at the end
of the day, i want to send records only when the billing system sends me a
DC1 control character.

That's it. Let knowledge be free to everyone. If not, i don't know what's
the scope of this mailing list.

Thanks ;)