[LCP]creating files with open()

Biki biki at deeproot.co.in
Mon Oct 1 15:12:48 UTC 2001

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Andy Zivkovic spat out

>--<Hi,
>--<
>--<I'm trying to open/create a file if it doesn't exist, then write to it,
>--<however writes are failing. Additionally, the permissions on the file is
>--<really strange. On linux (home) and windows (home) the function I've copied
>--<below creates the file, but the write fails, and the close succeeds. On
>--<Solaris (uni) the open fails.
>--<
>--<Is there anything immediately obvious with my program?
>--<
>--<The test program I'm using is:
>--<
>--<int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
>--<  int file, ret;
>--<
	give a file pointer, do not declare the file as an integer
	FILE *file
>--<  file = open("file.txt", O_CREAT|O_EXCL);
>--<
      to open the file and to write to it open it in the write mode
      for example :
      	file = fopen("file.txt","w");

	for other options go thru the man pages
	type 'man fopen' for the manuals

>--<  printf("file = %d\n", file);
>--<
>--<  ret = write(file, "12345\n", 6);
>--<
>--<  printf("ret = %d\n", ret);
>--<  if (ret < 0) {
>--<    printf("%s\n", strerror(errno));
>--<  }
>--<

	to close the file
	try : fclose(FILE *pointer);
	in your case it is
		fclose(file);

>--<  ret = close(file);
>--<  printf("ret = %d\n", ret);
>--<}
>--<
>--<This is the Linux C Programming List
>--<:  http://lists.linux.org.au/listinfo/linuxcprogramming List
>--<
>--<
cheers

biki

"My programs donot have any bugs, but they sure develope random features!!!"