[Linux-aus] Notice of Linux Australia 2023 Annual General Meeting (AGM)

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Wed Jan 11 09:11:22 AEDT 2023

Hi Clinton,

I would like the following item considered for inclusion in Section 4 of our
agenda:

MOTION by Craige McWhirter that the roles of President and Vice President be
renamed to Convenor and Co-Convenor respectively.

I seek acceptance of this item into our agenda and call for a second for the motion.

Context: as brief as I can keep it :-)

Over the last 30 or so years of the FLOSS community in Australia, that Linux
Australia represents, a hallmark of that community has been flat,
non-hierarchical collaboration and mutual aid in relationship to FLOSS and
related techonologies and empowering each other to achieve our goals, what ever
those goals are for each of us.

Our organisation has from the outset used the default term "President" which is
intrinsically heirarchical and authoritarian.

It is my opinion that the term "President" is not reflective of our community
and it is perhaps time to reconsider the default, template titles we accepted in
the 90's and discuss whether the title "Convenor" is more in line with our
community as I believe it is.

While as far as organisational powers go, changing to title makes no
difference, it has been my experience that the psychological and cultural
differences are far reaching and therefore worth our consideration.

It would be great to see this discussed at the AGM, should anyone see fit to
second this.

Thanks :-)

--
Craige McWhirter