[Linux-aus] Constitutional background and towards a reformed constitution for Linux Australia

Colin Fee tfeccles at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:01:06 AEDT 2023

Such clauses as 2.7.1 were written when digital communications methods were
in their infancy. An association rules needed a means of providing members
a check-and-balance mechanism to allow the membership to call a special
general meeting should the need arise, using traditional methods of contact
e.g. postal mail etc.

I agree that nowadays, the (an?) email list would suffice.

On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 at 15:32, Paul Esson via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> Only First Name and Email are requirements when registering or updating
> details on linuxaus, This seems to be at odds with 2.7.1 which states:
>
> > The public officer or the secretary of the association must establish
> and maintain a register of members of the association specifying the name
> and postal or residential address of each person who is a member of the
> association together with the date on which the person became a member.
>
> it also makes it hard for the request Marcus made to be satisfied.
>
> I agree with Matthew's sentiment that this mailing list should be
> sufficient for people to voice their concerns or rally members around a
> cause, I would be in favor of any change that reflected how Linux Aus
> operates at the current time and expectations that members have of the
> organisation in respect to privacy and the data it has about them.
>
> Paul Esson
>

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 2:08 PM Matthew Lye via linux-aus <
> linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
>
>> I've been following this conversation and agree with Marcus's comments
>> with one slight deviation regarding this point:
>>
>> > It would be reasonably simple to address this should that section be
>>> removed by adding a line saying that the committee may approve use of the
>>> data for sending other material relating to the association if it is deemed
>>> reasonable. (Not in those exact words but that idea worded in a way that
>>> ties in with the rest of the constitution).
>>

>>> While I don’t think you envisage it being abused, it must never be up to
>>> be leadership to approve or deny the ability of its members to discuss
>>> things. Especially as it can be used to limit discussion of issues with the
>>> leadership or the organisation’s direction.
>>

>> Would it not be fair to consider the ability for the members to
>> communicate within the membership group met by providing the mailing list?
>> Asking for additional details for the purposes of contacting members seems
>> redundant and highly prone to abuse.
>>
>> -Matthew Lye
>>
>> <No trees were harmed during this transmission. However, a great number
>> of electrons were terribly inconvenienced>
>>

>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 at 08:42, Marcus Herstik via linux-aus <
>> linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a small comment or 2 below, but the general consensus from the
>>> boards and committees I have been on before is that the constitution should
>>> allow the leaders to act while ensuring accountability and transparency to
>>> the constituents that make up the organisation.
>>>
>>> If the members have issues there must always be a way to organise and
>>> remove members.

>>> the NSW Fair Trading Model Constitution document [1].
>>> members", is the basis for the Linux Australia Constitution section 7 ",
>>> Register of members" [2].
>>> misinterpretation and open the floor to possible legal issues.

>>> Definitely best practice to stay as close as possible without good
>>> reasons to deviate.

> [...]

Colin Fee
tfeccles at gmail.com