[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia?

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Tue Dec 19 19:58:05 AEDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Linux Australia is an incorporated association, registered in the state
of NSW, and has been in operation since around 2001. Initially convened
as a vehicle to operate linux.conf.au, the organisation's remit,
activities and scope have broadened significantly over the last decade
and a half.

We think it's time to change the name of the organisation to
better reflect our widened mission, values, activities, partnerships and
influence.

But wait, hasn't this been tried before?

Yes. In 2012/2013, the Linux Australia Council, led then by John
Ferlito, attempted a name change. Consensus could not be reached on a
name to change *to*, and so Linux Australia remained Linux Australia.

This time, we're learning from the outcome of that process, and would
like to present to you a decision:

Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia (Yes/No)

Other aspects of the organisation - constitution, makeup and so on, are
not proposed to be changed.

We're communicating this now to provide the community with time to
discuss this proposed change before the AGM, where the resolution will
be tabled in the AGM agenda. The result of the vote will be tabled
at the AGM. That is, if the majority vote 'No', we won't change the
name. If the majority vote 'Yes', we will.

If you are a member of Linux Australia, you will be able to vote on this
resolution at:

https://www.linux.org.au/membership/index.php?page=view-election&id=25

Voting will open 25th December 2017, the same time voting opens for
Council Elections, and will close on 21 January, the same time voting
closes for Council Elections.

Let the discussion begin.

Kind regards,

Kathy