[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia?

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Wed Dec 20 01:37:36 AEDT 2017

On 19/12/17 19:28, Linux Australia President via linux-aus wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Linux Australia is an incorporated association, registered in the state
> of NSW, and has been in operation since around 2001. Initially convened
> as a vehicle to operate linux.conf.au, the organisation's remit,
> activities and scope have broadened significantly over the last decade
> and a half.
>
> We think it's time to change the name of the organisation to
> better reflect our widened mission, values, activities, partnerships and
> influence.
>
> But wait, hasn't this been tried before?
>
> Yes. In 2012/2013, the Linux Australia Council, led then by John
> Ferlito, attempted a name change. Consensus could not be reached on a
> name to change *to*, and so Linux Australia remained Linux Australia.
>
> This time, we're learning from the outcome of that process, and would
> like to present to you a decision:
>
> Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia (Yes/No)

NO

Why? Not because I am engaged in a religious war on the various aspects
of open source theology but because OSIA open source industry australia
exists and has done for a decade or more.  To rename LA to OSA open
source australia is to court confusion in the market and the
community/ies  and to what end?

Sorry Kathy and I know you dont want to start name shopping but if we
are to change name then it needs to be to one that does not walk into
confusion from the get go.

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley OAM, FACS CP, ACS Honorary Life Member
President, Professions Australia 2017-18