[Linux-aus] Constitutional background and towards a reformed constitution for Linux Australia

Marcus Herstik marcus at herstik.com
Wed Jan 4 09:41:01 AEDT 2023

I have a small comment or 2 below, but the general consensus from the boards and committees I have been on before is that the constitution should allow the leaders to act while ensuring accountability and transparency to the constituents that make up the organisation.

If the members have issues there must always be a way to organise and remove members.

> On 2 Jan 2023, at 5:41 am, Simon Lees via linux-aus <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
>

>> On 1/2/23 14:23, Wil Brown via linux-aus wrote:
>> Hi members,
>> Regarding changes to the LA constitution, I propose we stay within the NSW Fair Trading Model Constitution document [1].
>> The NSW Fair Trading Model Constitution section 4, "Register of members", is the basis for the Linux Australia Constitution section 7 ", Register of members" [2].
>> Deviating too much from the model constitution will likely cause misinterpretation and open the floor to possible legal issues.
>
> This also sounds reasonable to me.

Definitely best practice to stay as close as possible without good reasons to deviate.

> [...]
>> The purpose of using member data outlined in S7(6)(b) is clear and a compliance requirement.
>> The purpose of using member data outlined in S7(6)(a) needs to be clarified.  Using member data for postal newsletters and communications of member meetings and events seems reasonable.  However, the phrase "or other material relating to the association" [6] is open for interpretation.
>> Could I suggest that members debate what "other material relating to the association" is appropriate to communicate to a member via their personal data on the register, now and in the foreseeable future?
>
> From a quick read of the constitution I can see a couple of areas that may be impacted which illustrate why this may be important.
>
> Reason One:
>
> In Section 25 Members may call for a special general meeting  but as outlined below the amount of paperwork to do such would require some level of coordination
>
> 25. Special general meetings – calling of
> (2) The committee must, on the requisition in writing of at least 5 per cent of the total number of members or 20 members, whichever number is fewer, convene a special general meeting of the association.
> (a) must state the purpose or purposes of the meeting, and
> (b) must be signed by the members making the requisition, and
> (c) must be lodged with the secretary, and
> (d) may consist of several documents in a similar form, each signed by one or more of the members making the requisition.
>
> Further in Section 19 a member of the committee may be removed in a general meeting
> 19. Removal of committee members
> (1) The association in general meeting may by resolution remove any member of the committee from the office of member before the expiration of the member’s term of office and may by resolution appoint another person to hold office until the expiration of the term of office of the member so removed.
>
> So it seems like a somewhat sensible safeguard that if a group of members believe that say the secretary (or another member) has behaved inappropriately that they may want to discuss with other members the possibility of calling for a SGM without stating the reason. As an individual or group of individuals may not have decided whether they actually want to go ahead with calling a meeting i'm unsure if this case fits within the current reasoning. But I believe that its important for the balance of any constitution even if in the past its caused me many "headaches" when being on the board of community projects (People can ask me about that off list if they really feel like it, its off topic here).
>
> It would be possible to retain such a safeguard by providing a way for a member to contact all other members without giving direct access to personal information, however if this approach was to be taken I believe the constitution should be updated to ensure it remains.

This must remain to ensure integrity of the organisation or we risk what happened with the ACS.

> Reason Two:
> This is a somewhat strange one for an open source community and maybe points to another section of the constitution that we should consider changing.
>
> 10. Resolution of disputes
> (1) A dispute between a member and another member (in their capacity as members) of the association, or a dispute between a member or members and the association, are to be referred to a community justice centre for mediation under the Community Justice Centres Act 1983.
> (2) If a dispute is not resolved by mediation within 3 months of the referral to a community justice centre, the dispute is to be referred to arbitration.
> (3) The Commercial Arbitration Act 1984 applies to any such dispute referred to arbitration.
> I am not familiar with NSW law and whether the Act listed above gives a Community Justice Centre the legal right to request a members personal details in this case or whether this would be a case that would need to fall under the "other material relating to the association". Having just re read the relevant part of the constitution there is a section (b) "any other purpose necessary to comply with a requirement of the Act or the Regulation." Which covers this but i'll leave this reason because I think there is stuff in the below paragraph worth still discussing here.

So far I have not been contacted by anyone on council regarding resolving my dispute.

> As someone who has been involved in the openSUSE Board, its constitution the first point for conflict resolutions between members should be the the Board, having looked at this in the past I know many open source projects either use there equivelent Board / Council or either a subcommittee or a separate internal body to deal with such situations. Given the constitution already gives the committee the power to discipline members (Section 11) maybe in the case of an organisation such as Linux Australia it makes more sense for such disputes to be handled by the committee or a subcommittee as a first point of call with the ability for them to refer it further if required. This is one part of the constitution that I think probably makes more sense for local bowling clubs etc then it does for Linux Australia which is essentially an international organisation.
While I agree it’s a weird process, especially for a national organisation, it needs to be able to be escalated as well.
Most organisations have a stated jurisdiction, and therefore NSW is fine for that.
However, having a justice centre be the arbiter is likely a waste of their time in the first instance.
The legal fraternity takes a dim view of organisations wasting their time with minor disputes, especially if they can be dealt with internally.

> Reason Three:
> I'm less sure that this is necessarily a reason that needs to be listed in the constitution but the fact its there means we don't really need to think about it.
>
> As far as I can tell the constitution doesn't list anywhere else what the committee and or any sub committees can equally do with the membership data. Other than that they are members and as such can request it.

We are all equal members, some just have more responsibilities than others.
We should also consider incorporating if we aren’t already. If I am not on the council after election they should talk to a lawyer as to why.

> Without the clause as currently written if say Linux Australia created a sub committee to review a certain topic and say this subcommittee was made up of non regular committee members, it isn't immediately obvious under current or maybe future privacy laws whether a member of such a sub committee or even a member of the current committee could use that membership information to send out a questionnaire or survey related to there review.

Members of the org can ask for membership information - there is no restriction on the constitution as to reasoning. Therefore, if they are a sub-committee they can request it from the secretary and get it.
Use is covered by disciplinary actions available.

> It would be reasonably simple to address this should that section be removed by adding a line saying that the committee may approve use of the data for sending other material relating to the association if it is deemed reasonable. (Not in those exact words but that idea worded in a way that ties in with the rest of the constitution).

While I don’t think you envisage it being abused, it must never be up to be leadership to approve or deny the ability of its members to discuss things. Especially as it can be used to limit discussion of issues with the leadership or the organisation’s direction.

> Thanks
>
> Simon Lees
>
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 3:45 PM Kathy Reid <kathy at kathyreid.id.au <mailto:kathy at kathyreid.id.au>> wrote:
>> Thanks so much Wil and Jonathan - super helpful!
>> We have a clear way forward for anyone wanting to contribute to
>> changing the Constitution :-)
>> Best, Kathy
>>> On 19/12/2022 12:10 pm, Wil Brown wrote:
>>> Thanks, Kathy
>>> Since the initial ask for members' information was requested, we
>>> (the council) have discussed and noted that the current
>>> Constitution wording for section seven, specifically subsections
>>> three and four, likely need to be updated [1] to be 1) in line
>>> with changes to the NSW Fair Trading Act model constitution, 2)
>>> set a realistic time for response, 3) clarity of what data can be
>>> obtained, 4) what it can be used for and 5) how the constitution
>>> and privacy policies work together.
>>> We also noted that the timeframe between the then council meeting
>>> (October 26, 2022) and the upcoming AGM was unrealistic to discuss
>>> and implement the changes.  We will raise this as an issue for the
>>> 2023 LA Council to action.
>>> In the meantime, we welcome all members to contribute to the
>>> discussion on this thread.
>>> Refs:
>>> [1]
>>> https://linux.org.au/council-meeting-26th-october-2022-minutes/#:~:text=Do%20we%20need%20to%20change%20the%20wording%20in%20the%20constitution%20S7(3)%20and%20S7(4)%20to%20explicitly%20state%20what%20register%20data%20a%20member%20can%20receive%20upon%20request%3F <https://linux.org.au/council-meeting-26th-october-2022-minutes/#:~:text=Do%20we%20need%20to%20change%20the%20wording%20in%20the%20constitution%20S7(3)%20and%20S7(4)%20to%20explicitly%20state%20what%20register%20data%20a%20member%20can%20receive%20upon%20request%3F>
>>> Regards,