[Linux-aus] Constitutional background and towards a reformed constitution for Linux Australia

Wil Brown wil at zeropointdevelopment.com
Mon Jan 2 14:53:20 AEDT 2023

Hi members,

Regarding changes to the LA constitution, I propose we stay within the NSW
Fair Trading Model Constitution document [1].

The NSW Fair Trading Model Constitution section 4, "Register of members",
is the basis for the Linux Australia Constitution section 7 ", Register of
members" [2].

Deviating too much from the model constitution will likely cause
misinterpretation and open the floor to possible legal issues.

The main issue our members must resolve is satisfying the purpose of
obtaining member information and how that works with our privacy policy [3].

Our constitution S7(4) [4] states that a member can request "any" part of
the register, whereas the model constitution S4(4) states that a member can
request "a" part of the register.  This word is crucial as in addition to
name, postal address and joining date, the register *could *contain
additional information, such as email address, phone number etc.

I would suggest changing the wording in our constitution S7(4) [4] from
"any" to "a", which will help council members vet the member data portion
requested with the purpose of the request as outlined in S7(6) both parts
(a) and (b) [5], and bring our constitution in line with the NSW Fair
Trading model constitution.

The purpose of using member data outlined in S7(6)(b) is clear and a
compliance requirement.

The purpose of using member data outlined in S7(6)(a) needs to be
clarified.  Using member data for postal newsletters and communications of
member meetings and events seems reasonable.  However, the phrase "or other
material relating to the association" [6] is open for interpretation.

Could I suggest that members debate what "other material relating to the
association" is appropriate to communicate to a member via their personal
data on the register, now and in the foreseeable future?

Onboarding New Members:
Something within our control and without having to change the constitution
is ensuring that when new members register, they are sent links to the
constitution and privacy policy.

We could also clarify what data is stored, how members can request access,
and for what purposes within the same onboarding message (once everything
has been appropriately defined).

In the same communication, we could ensure the member understands they can
exercise their S7(5) [7] right to keep their data private and how to action
that request.

I welcome feedback and thoughts from our members on this topic.

Wil.

[1]
https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/associations-and-co-operatives/associations/starting-an-association/model-constitution
[2]