[Linux-aus] No intent to change name of "Linux Australia"

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Sun Oct 16 18:03:16 AEDT 2022

I don't want to speak for Council, but given my time with that group
(five years in various roles), the following information may be of
interest for the curious:

Linux Australia Inc.'s constitution can be found here:
https://linux.org.au/about-us/constitution/

The relevant sections are 23-34 under "Section 4 - General Meeting".
This gives Council significant leeway in holding AGMs, as long as the
AGM is held not longer than 6 months after the end of financial year,
which is 30th September, IIRC, and as long as appropriate notice is
provided to Members before the AGM - which is 14 days (per Section 24)
unless a special resolution is proposed, in which case it is 21 days.

Linux Australia Inc. is an incorporated association in NSW and therefore
falls under the Fair Trading Act 1987 (NSW)
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/fta1987117/

"Closing the books" on a financial year, and preparing the Annual
Report, is a significant undertaking for Council. The Treasurer in
particular has to satisfy themselves that the books are correct, arrange
an audit, respond to the auditor's questions and queries, and prepare an
analysis for the Annual General Meeting. Preparing the Annual Report
requires each of the Subcommittees to provide a report of their
activities to Council, Office-Bearers must write their report for
inclusion, and the Annual Report is then compiled, usually in booklet form.

You can see previous Annual Reports at:
https://linux.org.au/about-us/annual-reports/

At the same time as prepping the Annual Report, the Council must also
arrange an Election for Council, as (per the Constitution), Council
Member terms are 12 months (or so - depending on the AGM timing). This
requires doing all the comms for the Election (call for nominations,
communicating what's required, amending any of the position descriptions
- https://github.com/linuxaustralia/position-descriptions), as well as
setting up the Election in the CiviCRM system that is part of the
backend of linux.conf.au (the Election module was custom built for LA).
While voting is going on, Council then seeks to find a Returning Officer
and briefs them on the Elections, the Election system and so on.

This video explains what's involved in being a Returning Officer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLqxAIeFY64
(This includes a walk through of the Elections database and the x-checks
a Returning Officer needs to do).

Once the Election closes, the Returning Officer satisfies themselves (or
not) that the Election results are valid. The Election results are
announced at the AGM.

So, there's LOTS of work to prep for an AGM - yes, most of it is
documented internally to LA Council, but it's still lots of work, and I
am sure that Council is planning for all of this prep work with their
AGM timelines.

Kind regards,

Kathy Reid