[Linux-aus] USB-C chargers

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Nov 28 17:57:49 AEDT 2022

https://www.austeamhk.com/products/30w-usb-c-power-adapter-charger-for-lenovo-x1-carbon-5th-gen

I have a Thinkpad Carbon X1 Gen5 which shipped with a 65W USB-C PSU and which
runs well with a 45W USB-C PSU.  The above advert and others like it imply
that 30W is adequate to power that laptop.

https://www.kogan.com/au/c/black-friday-sale-22-tech/shop/category/phones-accessories-smartphones-accessories-44025/?facet-features-furniture-filterable=GaN+Technology

Kogan offered some deals on GaN chargers, the above is the one that's still on
sale, they also had a 30W one for $10 which I bought expecting it to work with
my Thinkpad, but it didn't.

How do I work out why the charger didn't work?  If I buy the 68W version of
that charger is it likely to work?  Could it be the USB-C - USB-C cables that
I used (I tested 3 cables of different brands from my collection)?