[Linux-aus] laptop monitoring

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue May 31 22:00:53 AEST 2022

On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 11:55:37 AEST Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
> Is there any good FOSS solution for monitoring a fleet of laptops?  I want

Thanks for the answers to my question about laptop monitoring, I will try some
of those later.  While investigating them I found netdata which is in Debian
and provides a nice web page with metrics of a system which is calculated in
RAM with a small amount of CPU so doesn't interfere with performance - it
doesn't do what I need for this issue but might help me solve some unrelated
problems.

I'm working for a company that is going for enterprise support etc and Ubuntu
is chosen as THE Linux platform.

https://landscape.canonical.com/try-landscape

I have learned about Ubuntu Landscape which is a system for monitoring package
updates etc for a fleet of Ubuntu systems just like Red Hat Satellite does for
RHEL systems.  The SaaS version of Landscape is $1c per machine per hour which
is $87.60 per annum for 24*7 systems and something a bit more than $20 per
annum for work laptops if they don't charge for off time.  The on-premises
version of Landscape is included with an Ubuntu Advantage support
subscription.

https://ubuntu.com/pricing/infra

According to this page the basic "support" is $25/desktop.  For real support
(where you can phone them and get help) it's $150/desktop for business hours
and $300/desktop for 24*7 support.  I just checked Red Hat's web site for
comparison and saw that the actual support starts at $299!

https://ubuntu.com/legal/ubuntu-advantage-service-description

The above page says "you are entitled to the following coverage, depending on
the appropriate package (Essential, Standard, or Advanced) on a per-machine
basis" which seems to mean that I could have the more important machines on
$150 or $300 support levels and have most machines on $25.  If that's the case
then it should be easy to get management to pay for it, if it has to be $150
for each system to get real support then it will be more of a challenge.