[Linux-aus] xkbcomp problem

Glenn McIntosh neonsignal-linux at meme.net.au
Sun Mar 20 23:57:45 AEDT 2022

On 20/3/22 20:47, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
>  <PGUP> = 108;
>  <PGDN> = 134;
>  <ESC> = 180;
>
> I'm trying to use the above config file for xkbcomp to set PGUP and PGDN
> functions to the right "command" and "alt"/"option" keys on a Mac style
> bluetooth keyboard and to set the ESC function to the key that gives the ESC
> press if I hold down "fn"

I'm not totally clear on what you are trying to do (as I don't have a
Mac keyboard), so bear with me if I'm telling you something obvious
here. Mappings go from codes numbers to symbols to key functions.

For example, if I have:

xkb_keymap {
 xkb_keycodes {
 include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"
 <PGUP> = 108;
 };
 xkb_types     { include "complete"     };
 xkb_compat    { include "complete"     };
 xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+inet(evdev)"    };
 xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"    };
};

and run the following (sending the configuration straight to my X setup
instead of compiling to a file)

xkbcomp example.xkb :0.0

this maps my 108 keycode (labelled Alt on the right side of my physical
keyboard) to the symbol PGUP, which in turn gets mapped by the include
file to the function of page up (ie, if I press the right Alt it will
now page up in my document), and has the side effect that the keycode
112 (labelled PGUP on my physical keyboard) is no longer mapped to anything

Glenn
--
pgp: 833A 67F6 1966 EF5F 7AF1  DFF6 75B7 5621 6D65 6D65