[Linux-aus] 4K monitor sizes

Wil Brown wil at zeropointdevelopment.com
Wed Jun 1 14:00:02 AEST 2022

I've had a 29" LG IPS for 9 years now and only this year it developed a
single vertical dead pixel line.  Looking to replace it soon-ish so this
thread is very on-topic for me.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 1:04 PM Colin Fee via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 at 12:50, Steven Ellis <steven.ellis at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 12:40 PM Colin Fee via linux-aus <
>> linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

>>> Yep, agree with Peter here re the glasses.  I'm long sighted so I need
>>> to wear my glasses to work at my computer etc.
>>>
>>> I bought a Dell 32" 4k curved monitor during a sale early last year but
>>> had to return it as the ppi at 139 was under a sweet spot that meant
>>> everything looked just slightly fuzzy to me. My eyes were constantly trying
>>> to focus it into sharpness and it gave me headaches.  I think the magic
>>> number is about 160 ppi, any less and I find them difficult to use.  Right
>>> now I'm sitting in front of my HP Z27 27" 4k that has 163 ppi.  I can't see
>>> the pixels, everything is smooth and crisp. c.f with Apple retina displays
>>> that are crica 220 ppi.
>>>
>>> I found overtime when using 2 x 24" monitors I was never using the full
>>> real estate of the individual monitors i.e. the outer 1/3 was unused, so I
>>> switched to a single 27" of higher resolution and adjust app window sizes
>>> to suit so I can have 2 - 3 things open and work effectively.
>>>
>>> My 27" sits just out of arm's length and fill most of my FoV.  I have my
>>> laptop sitting on a custom stand I made as a 2nd screen for things that
>>> don't require my attention.
>>>

>> Interesting to hear your perspective on ppi. I've got a Dell 32" 4K
>> monitor (S3221QS) and I'm very happy with the pixel density. I do find it
>> very hard to use a 1080p 24" monitor now as it just seems a bit fuzzy in
>> comparison.
>>

> Yes it was a shame. I even tried it out on my PS4 thinking I could use it
> as a gaming monitor but the same issue, it was just that little bit fuzzy.
> I wonder in hindsight if it was that particular panel.
>
> I have the same experience as you with 1080p 24" monitors.  We've also got
> a 2k 27" in the study that my wife uses and I find that while that doesn't
> cause me any issues I no longer like using it.
>
> --
> Colin Fee
> tfeccles at gmail.com

Wil Brown

*WordPress Consultant, Developer & Business Coach at **Zero Point
Development <https://zeropointdevelopment.com/>*
*Vice President of Linux Australia <https://linux.org.au/>*

*m. 0423 526 829 <+61423526829>  **w. zeropointdevelopment.com
<https://zeropointdevelopment.com?utm_source=wil-zpd-email-signature>
t. @WilBrown_AU <https://twitter.com/WilBrown_AU>  LIn. LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/developerwil/>*

*Get my FREE business courses <https://courses.wilbrown.com/catalog/free>.