[Linux-aus] LCA 2023 ?

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sat Jul 30 21:10:14 AEST 2022

On 30/7/22 8:52 pm, Kathy Reid via linux-aus wrote:
> I can't possibly imagine what the hold up might be with so many dedicated
> volunteers helping Joel ...

Sarcasm?  Kathy, I don't know what's going on there but you're sounding very
aggressive about this.  I don't think you should be attacking us.

We haven't even seen an announcement that LCA 2023 needed volunteers.  There
hasn't even been an announcement that there was a bid, or a team, or that it
was even on.  I really have no idea, therefore, how you expect the Open Source
community in Australia to have deduced that they needed to volunteer for
anything, much less that it was Joel that they should be applying to.

I totally understand your frustration.  Volunteers are hard to come by.  It
hasn't helped that we've had a pandemic that has sent us away from our regular
in-person meetings - which is where we get those communities and friendship
networks that can be drawn on to put together a team to run something like
LCA.  As someone who was on the team to run LCA 2021 - before Linux Australia
decided that it would run LCA 2021 itself - and who was on a team who put a
bid in to run LCA in 2022, I totally get how hard it is to get people to
really commit to the full work of the LCA committee.  I was on the LCA 2013
team, so I know how hard that work can be.

But ... I'm with Andrew here.  Joel said he'd make an announcement, we're just
waiting for it.  I'm with Simon here. Joel did not ask for volunteers on 13th
June; he made it sound like he had everything in hand.

If Joel needs volunteers, Joel has only to ask the community.  He can do that
in public - on the LA email list for example.  He can do that in private.  He
can do it any way he wants to.

But I think you do the charity and community spirit of the Open Source
community in Australia a disservice by upbraiding it on not volunteering to
help an LCA we haven't heard of and have not been asked to help on.

Hope this helps,

Paul