[Linux-aus] LUV needs volunteers

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jul 2 21:10:28 AEST 2022

On Saturday, 2 July 2022 20:12:25 AEST Yuchen Pei wrote:
> On Sat 2022-07-02 11:54:50 +1000, Russell Coker via luv-main wrote:
> > Finally one thing that should be considered is moving the LUV mailing
> > lists to the Linux Australia server.  The latest version of Mailman is a
> > major pain to run and the older version is deprecated.
>
> I don't quite get this part.  LUV list server seems to be using
> mailman3, whereas mailman2 is still widely used, including the Linux
> Australia list server[1].  By the older version is deprecated do you
> mean that the LUV server cannot *revert* back to mailman2?

It probably can, but it's a pain and no-one is volunteering to do it.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mailman

But if you did it then you would have to support it, Mailman version 2.x is no
longer in Debian.  At this time someone might suggest using a distribution
other than Debian which still supports Mailman 2.x, but that makes supporting
all the other stuff more difficult or requires a second VM.