[Linux-aus] LUV needs volunteers

Tim timwhite88 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 14:56:51 AEST 2022

I'm happy to offer the same 'service' that I offer PLUG, regarding domain
registrations to any Australian Linux/Unix user group. I'll register the
domain through my business wholesale account, and that way it's always
automatically renewed and paid and I just invoice the LUG the cost of the
domain (rounded up to the nearest dollar, so $10, so I can tell the ATO I
am /trying/ to make a profit). Many years ago we had this recurring issue
with PLUG domains expiring due to there not being a PLUG credit card to
have automatic renewals setup on, and just having an individual put their
card on the line was a little more than people wanted. At one point we used
prepaid cards, but they expire and also people forget to topup the funds.

As long as the LUG eventually pays the invoice, I'm not concerned, and I
can pester them once a month until it's paid. For many years I just donated
the cost of PLUG's domain instead of bothering with invoicing, but I no
longer make money with my business, it's just there to give non-profits
access to cheap domains and webhosting.

Who am I to offer this? Many many many moons ago I was the PLUG president,
technically still am a PLUG system admin, and now my involvement is mostly
just lurking as having a family doesn't leave as much free time (and I'm
rural to Perth).

Regards

Tim