[Linux-aus] LUV needs volunteers

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jul 2 11:54:50 AEST 2022

Currently no-one is reading the LUV president email.  Email about the expiry
of luv.asn.au have been going to the president mailbox since April and now the
domain is suspended.  I'm CCing this email to the Linux Australia list because
probably a lot of LUV members won't get this message through the LUV list due
to the expired domain.

The LUV committee list receives almost no email, the committee seems entirely
inactive in aggregate.  Presumably Andrew Pam will renew the domain (as he did
last year) after my monitoring system detected that the domain was suspended
(as it did last year) due to President email not being read and it not being
renewed in time.  I'm putting this in a public email because I don't want to
be falsely accused of being responsible for this debacle as I was last year.

If LUV is going to run effectively it needs someone to volunteer to read the
president email.  It gets an average of 2-3 spam messages per day which is
probably not much compared to the spam that slips through most of our spam
filters.

Most of the LUV president spam comes from the web contact form.  The contact
page could be changed to not have a form for submitting a message and instead
refer to a Matrix address or something, it's easy to change.  While I've
generally given up on all LUV sysadmin tasks than the minimum needed to keep
things running I would be happy to change the contact page to something that
will get a response for people who want information (IE anything other than
going to a mailbox that hasn't been read since early September 2021).

Finally one thing that should be considered is moving the LUV mailing lists to
the Linux Australia server.  The latest version of Mailman is a major pain to
run and the older version is deprecated.  It doesn't seem likely that anyone
will volunteer to give the LUV mailing lists the attention that's needed to
get them running properly and the LA lists are maintained properly.