[Linux-aus] FLOSS-and-Linux-friendly weather stations?

Dave Davey daved at windclimber.id.au
Fri Dec 16 20:31:28 AEDT 2022

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 05:37:38PM +1000, Paul Gear via linux-aus wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking to get a weather station for the family and don't really know where
> to start - I'm hoping some of you might have been down this road before.

I've had a Davis Vantage Pro system running for about 8 years.  I had earlier
experience with an inexpensive system of the sort you can get from
various shops, but found the outdoor hardware was not up to the job -
it is afterall out in the weather, good and bad 24/7.

I use the Davis ethernet interface connected to a Raspberry (Raspberry OS
buster) in turn connected to my internet modem.  The low power consumption
important because I want it to work even if I am travelling.  It's powered
by a solar/battery/grid-connected system that continues to operate even if
there is a protracted power-outage.

You can see output at http://www.windclimber.net/weather/

I have set that to update only every 10 min, often enough to follow weather
changes.

More details on request.

--
David F. Davey
D'Entrecasteaux                                       Phone: +61 3 6267 4852
Australia                                            daved at windclimber.id.au