[Linux-aus] FLOSS-and-Linux-friendly weather stations?

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 20:05:38 AEDT 2022

Can recommend the WittBoy - the WEEWX developers  are actively working on
it (WS90 + GW2000). You can add other Ecowitt sensors like CO2, Pm2.5 &
PM10 detectors, lightning strike detectors etc.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 at 19:18, Hugh Blemings via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> Hi Paul, All,
>
> I have been dabbling in the WX stuff for quite some time now. My preferred
> option these days is stuff from Ecowitt.
>
> They have a small receiver which talks their over air protocol on one side
> and connects to WiFi on the other. It has a simple Web interface inbuilt as
> well as an api you can talk to from FOSS software such as Home Assistant
> etc.
>
> I use the 915MHz versions to avoid potential interference with ham radio
> stuff that might occur with the 433MHz options such as  Acurite.
>
> It's reasonably priced for the quality of the hardware IMHO, they sell
> direct and have been responsive the odd occasion where I've had a question.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Cheers
> Hugh
>

> On 16 December 2022 6:37:38 pm AEDT, Paul Gear via linux-aus <
> linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm looking to get a weather station for the family and don't really know
>> where to start - I'm hoping some of you might have been down this road
>> before.
>>
>> Thinking about what I would like to get out of a weather station, I came
>> up with the following:
>>
>> Essentials
>>
>>    - dual indoor & outdoor stations
>>    - metrics: temperature, humidity, rainfall
>>    - can get data out via HTTP, FTP, or other standards-based protocol
>>    in a sensible format like JSON, CSV, or plain text
>>    - doesn't require a cloud service to operate
>>    - wireless connection to outdoor unit
>>    - 15 minute resolution
>>    - accurate clock
>>
>> Nice to have
>>
>>    - solar power for outdoor unit
>>    - metrics: wind speed & direction, barometric pressure, battery/solar
>>    levels
>>    - self-emptying/no-reservoir rain gauge
>>    - wireless connection to indoor unit
>>    - 1 minute resolution
>>    - (S)NTP client
>>    - HTTP proxy support if it needs to make outbound connections to the
>>    Internet
>>    - decent web interface
>>    - option to contribute data to collaborative open data projects
>>    without compromising privacy
>>
>> Anything else I should think about?  Am I dreamin' [1]?  I am assuming
>> that I would put them on their own wireless SSID & VLAN with no access to
>> anything but what I permit.
>>
>> What price should I expect to pay?  What brands are worth investigating
>> or avoiding?  I'm in South-East Queensland, if that makes any difference to
>> what temperature or humidity tolerances it needs.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Paul
>>
>> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dik_wnOE4dk
>>
> --

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return"		W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"