[Linux-aus] this list

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Aug 31 19:44:39 AEST 2021

On Tuesday, 31 August 2021 17:03:12 AEST Svetlana Tkachenko via linux-aus
wrote:
> Hi Russell Coker
>
> > Does that mean this list isn't reaching the sort of people who
> > want to learn about how to configure Postfix etc
>
> I would be interested in learning this, though, via IRC
> would be easier than via a audio chat with screen sharing.
> What is your nick on IRC?

Services like Jitsi and BBB support text chat as well as audio and video.
They also make it easy to share screen contents.  So it's definitely better
than IRC for such things.

https://gist.github.com/pinkisemils/39d4ded8b1639b6f39dcab15618649f5

Also IRC use has dropped off following a recent freenode issue, the above is
one of many web pages about the topic that I think gives a reasonable summary
of the issues without taking too much reading time.

> I have a debian computer at home and a static ip.

My message to this on Sunday subject "hands-on training" covers the options.
The advantage of a VM over your own PC is that it's in a known state before
things start and I can easily login to check things if you have problems while
you won't want people logging in to your own PC.