[Linux-aus] Software Freedom Day - 19th September 2020

President, Linux Australia president at linux.org.au
Fri Sep 11 11:29:00 AEST 2020

Software Freedom Day - 19th of September 2020

Free Software Melbourne and Linux Users Victoria are celebrating the
17th annual Software Freedom Day celebrations in Melbourne. We will
present a range of leaders in the Free-Software community that will talk
about the importance of Free-Software to a free society.

The SFD celebration will kickoff with what is "Free and Open Source
Software" and why is it so important for a modern, digital society.
We'll be hearing from leading contributors and organizers of companies
building businesses around Free and Open Source projects. We're also
going to talk about the ethics of software development and the
advantages of building a prosthetic using open hardware. There is also
the opportunity for networking opportunities in our general FLOSS chat
room during the day.

Time Table:
10:00am - Welcome and Introductions
10:15am - What is Free Software?
11:00am - Dr Morgan Leigh - Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death
12:00pm - FLOSS Chat Room / Lunch Break
1:30pm - Lightning Talks
2:30pm - Kathy Reid - Good, better, breast: Building a sensing
mastectomy prosthetic with open hardware
3:30pm - Frank Karlitschek - How Nextcloud stayed productive during
COVID-19 and how others did the same
4:30pm - Mike Saunders & Italo Vignoli -  LibreOffice: great history,
great future

Participation is both free and liberating. Software Freedom Day is a
family friendly event welcoming to anyone, pass on the word to help make
it a great day. We have a code of conduct available on our website, but
in short: Be respectful, Be inclusive and Be aware.

Hope to see you all online for our most exciting Software Freedom Day yet!

Details: