[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au 2021 - Keynote Announcement: Omoju Miller

Joel Addison joel at lca2021.linux.org.au
Tue Dec 15 21:32:39 AEDT 2020

The good news keeps on coming! We're delighted to announce that Omoju
Miller will be one of our keynote speakers at linux.conf.au 2021. The
conference is taking place online, worldwide, from Saturday 23 to Monday
25 January 2021.

In her keynote, Omoju will discuss participation in open source as a
form of cognitive apprenticeship.
She will map out how the transition step from novice to expert aligns
with the progressions we see in the roles taken on in open source
communities.

Omoju will share ideas on how to make the transition from beginner to
master faster by accessing what we know from education research.

This follows the earlier announcement of our first keynote speaker,
Limor Fried.

Tickets are now available at linux.conf.au. Secure yours today to hear
what Omoju and Limor have to say.

## About Omoju Miller

Omoju Miller is the Technical Advisor to the CEO at GitHub. Her
expertise is in the area of machine learning and computational
intelligence.

Previously, Omoju co-led Google's non-profit investment in computer
science education and served as a volunteer advisor to the Obama
administration's White House Presidential Innovation Fellows.

Omoju joined Github in 2017 to help build recommendation engines for the
popular open-source software development platform. She took on the role
of Technical Advisor to the CEO in February 2020. Originally from Lagos,
Nigeria, Omoju holds a doctoral degree in Computer Science Education
from UC Berkeley.

We look forward to welcoming Omoju to linux.conf.au 2021.

## About linux.conf.au

Australasia's grassroots Free and Open Source technologies conference,
linux.conf.au, will be held online, worldwide, from Saturday 23 to
Monday 25 January 2021. Running since 1999, linux.conf.au is the largest
linux and open source conference in the Asia-Pacific region.
The conference provides deeply technical presentations from industry
leaders and experts on a wide array of subjects relating to open source
projects, data and open government and community engagement.

## How to get tickets?

Jump onto linux.conf.au to grab your ticket via your dashboard
(https://linux.conf.au/dashboard/).

If you need help convincing your employer to let you attend
linux.conf.au 2021, we have a page to assist.
Check out our why should your employees attend
(https://linux.conf.au/attend/why-should-employees-attend/) page, and
share it with your employer.

## Have you seen our schedule yet? Have you noticed the room names?

Each of the rooms are dedicated to a person that has had a great impact
on linux.conf.au and Linux Australia.

Tux Theatre - is named after Linux's mascot Tux (duh) but because we
couldn't be in Tux's hometown Canberra for 2021 we thought we would
dedicate the main theatre to Tux!

Rusty R. Hall - named after Paul "Rusty" Russell
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Russell). He was the one who
started all of this linux.conf.au mess when he organised the Conference
of Australian Linux Users (CALU) in 1999, and which then helped initiate
Linux Australia.

Pia Andrews Conservatory - Pia Andrews
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pia_Andrews) is best known for her open
government work and her years of contributions to Linux Australia. Pia
is also a musician and a Conservatory in musical terms is a place for
learning music so we thought calling the stream a Conservatory would be
perfect!

Blemings Labs - Now for those of you who doesn't know Hugh (turns out he
doesn't have a Wikipedia page, someone please fix that!), Hugh has been
an attendee at linux.conf.au at most, if not all, prior LCAs and is a
previous Linux Australia President and Council Member.

---
Read this online at
https://lca2021.linux.org.au/news/keynote-omoju-miller/