[Linux-aus] The Internet of Houses seeks funding

Ewen McNeill linux-aus at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Sun Jul 22 12:53:45 AEST 2018

Some of you might remember the talk from LCA2017 in Hobart:

https://lca2017.linux.org.au/schedule/presentation/100/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaRjThUGXLE

about Whare Hauora, a project to create IoT devices to monitor the
warmth and dampness of houses, over time, particularly the rental
housing at the lower cost end of the housing market.

The project:

http://www.wharehauora.nz/
https://github.com/WhareHauora

has made great progress, and is getting closer to deployment into the
community.  They currently have an active crowd funding campaign:

https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/projects/5701-whare-sensors-that-tell-you-when-your-home-is-making-you-sick

to help raise money for field trials in vulnerable communities,
including a "buy one, give one" option if you want a sensor kit of your
own.  (This is a New Zealand based crowd funding platform; some funding
options that solely donate money, with no tangible reward in return,
qualify for a NZ tax credit, since Whare Hauora are a registered charity
in New Zealand.)

Ewen

PS: I'm not connected to the project; just someone who has followed the
progress of the project for several years, and is pleased they're
getting to the point of doing field trials.  I thought y'all might be
interested in "where are they now".