[Linux-aus] Changes to the Constitution to be voted on at the AGM

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Sun Dec 23 14:12:18 AEDT 2018

On Sun, 2018-12-23 at 13:58 +1100, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Fantastic! I’m trying to remember why we didn’t pursue this years
> ago, and I just can’t. Good idea though. This would mean that
> donations would be tax deductible?

No, or at least that isn't what we asked for in our appication.

The reason we didn't apply for it is the ATO made it clear is your
constitution had to say funds must to go to a similar organisation if
it was wound up, and ours didn't. (As a aside, that is a decidedly odd
omission from the NSW model rules we adopted).  The ACNC didn't list
the clauses as a requirement so I thought I could put in the submission
in without them.  In fact you have to tick boxes on a web form, and it
won't let proceed if you don't have the right boxes ticked.  It let me
proceed.  But then the person assessing our application said "I won't
consider your application unless you have that clause and a statement
of objects in your constitution."

Since we have to have the clauses I guess I could now change the
application to say we claim tax deductibility.  But I probably won't.
I expect we can change it afterwards, and I'd like to get to step 1.