[Linux-aus] Vale Brenda Aynsley, OAM FACS CP

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Mon Aug 13 20:27:50 AEST 2018

Colleagues,

Over the weekend, Australia lost a leading light for women in computing.

Brenda Aynsley has departed this world, and although her loss will be
acutely felt in every corner of computing practice in the country, she
leaves behind her a formidable and indelible legacy. Her accomplishments
and contributions are too numerous to mention in detail; she served in
several capacities with the Australian Computing Society for decades,
furthering the professionalism of our industry and demanding higher
standards from those who practice in it. She was a founding member of
Open Source Industry Australia, and an active member of Linux Australia;
in our private correspondence she provided guidance, wisdom and incisive
wit. More recently she served as the President of the Australian Council
of Professions and as Chair of the International Professional Practice
Program of the International Federation of Information Processing.

Above all, she served. She dedicated her life to making the practice and
profession of computing well respected, well governed and well regarded.

Her legacy will echo for generations.

As a mark of respect, the Linux Australia web server `X-Clacks-Overhead`
header has been updated to include her name.
"A woman is not dead while her name is still spoken" - after Terry
Pratchett.

Respectfully,

Kathy, Cameron, Sae Ra, Russell, Hugh, Cherie and James

PS As I went searching for authoritative information to pen this note, I
noticed Brenda does not have a Wikipedia page. I would like our
community to address that if possible.

--
Kathy Reid
President