[Linux-aus] [Grant Application] Kids Tracks at BuzzConf

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Sat Sep 23 15:58:19 AEST 2017

Hi Noel

On 23 September 2017 3:48:05 pm AEST, Noel Butler via linux-aus <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
>On 23/09/2017 12:09, Arjen Lentz via linux-aus wrote:
>
>> promoting tech in general is not Linux Australia's purpose
>
>That precedent has already been set, grants were issued to an
>organisation to promote getting women into tech a few years ago, there
>was a massive thread on it as i recall, and more recently, only 3 or so
>months back? a workshop for women in a hackerspace or something along
>those lines was approved too, since the precedent is set, we can hardly
>cherry pick.

I think we can, and have.

The examples you note above are specific to enabling women in tech.  That indeed is a whole separate discussion (the most recent research indicating that it's not the women who have the problem, they're interested - it's a number of sabotaging aspects that hinder).

But in any case those past grant approvals do not imply that Linux Australia "therefore" has to approve grant requests for anything tech.

And even if we did approve certain things in the past, we're entirely entitled to adjust our policies based on current insights and priorities.

It is absolutely our perogative to cherry pick, in order to achieve the best possible outcomes for our objectives, using the funds available for this.

Regards,
Arjen.