[Linux-aus] Linux Grant Application - Hubcaps to Creative Hubs: Open Source

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Wed May 17 08:44:21 AEST 2017

Hi Adam,

Firstly thanks for your well considered feedback.

I just wanted to clarify that labour and professional services costs are
able to be included in Grant Applications as per the grant process and
template at:

https://linux.org.au/projects/grants

In terms of continuous improvement, Linux Australia will review our
Grants Program after the Grants period ends (September 30) and look to
make amendments based on community feedback - and the inclusion of
labour and professional services costs may be one of those areas.

Kind regards,

Kathy

On 16/05/17 13:42, Adam Nielsen via linux-aus wrote:
>> There are also terms in the budget which are not familiar to myself
>> (and probably others including) "2 Days Academic Level A.8 + OnCosts"
>> and "40hrs HEW4 + OnCosts", could you expand on what these mean?
> Academic A.8 and HEW4 are standard pay levels used for university
> employees.  Most institutions will have a HR page where they list these
> levels and what the corresponding salary is.  On-costs are things that
> the employer has to pay on top of what the employee sees (e.g.
> superannuation, leave entitlements, etc.)  This type of request is
> quite normal for a "professional" grant, and I think this is one of the
> most professional grant requests we have yet seen.
>
> Basically these two items are a request to pay someone's regular
> salary, to get two days of an academic's time, and a week of a
> professional staff member's time.
>
> I'm in two minds about whether LA grants should cover salaries.  It
> seems that we could get more benefit by funding those projects where
> people will donate more of their time, but then hopefully if you pay
> someone you will get the job done faster.  And we don't seem to have a
> shortage of grant funds.
>
> I guess if the data is ultimately beneficial to the Linux community
> then it is probably worth it.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Kathy Reid