[Linux-aus] Grant Application - A grant to Moe Menshed (about to start)

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 19:37:38 AEDT 2017

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 6:40 PM, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:

> Robert, we are having ongoing discussions about your application for a
> menshed
> grant.  Robyn says that in Adelaide the mensheds don't exclude women.  To
> clarify the issue please briefly explain what you are doing to make your
> menshed welcoming to women and non-binary people.

I don’t believe this request to Robert is warranted.

The section of the CoC[0] Russell quoted refers to “unwarranted exclusion
from a conference or related events”.

Firstly: this is not a conference, nor a related event, so I’m not sure why
this would apply.

Secondly: assuming that it does apply, the wording still refers to
“unwarranted exclusion”. Robert has been asked to defend the “exclusion”
part, but the “unwarranted” part seems to have been ignored. Beyond Blue
commissioned a detailed study[2] on Mens Sheds in 2013 and found that they
“are in an important position to be able to impact priority health group”;
and that “Shed membership positively impacts on the experience of mental
health and well-being.”

So: this is not a conference, nor a related event. Rather than exclusion,
there is a focus particular priority health group, and that focus seems to
have been shown to be warranted.

The Code of Conduct also asks all Linux Australia members to adopt the
principles in LA Statement of Values[3], which says in part: “We value the
creation, support and maintenance of community around open technologies.”
To me this request seems like it could certainly lead to the “creation … of
community around open technologies”. I’d like to see some more thought
given to how that community could be supported and maintained; but given
the small size of the grant request (and the lack of competition for the
funds) I’m personally happy to see that answered after the community has
been created.

I think the original grant request here is suboptimal - I would prefer to
see us working together with ITShare or ComputerBank on a coordinated
approach, where perhaps we provide funding, they provide hardware, and the
Mens Shed provides a venue and training. I don’t know precisely what Robyn
had in mind, but I commend her for stepping up and offering to work on a
more effective way for the funding to be used.

In summary: I read this as a request to lend support to a proven
non-exclusionary intervention targeting a priority health group, which has
the potential to support the creation of a community around open
technologies. Given the size of the request and the lack of competition, I
support the grant - especially if Robyn or other volunteers are able to
work on ways to make the funding more effective and to make it more likely
that such a community is created.

[0] The CoC quoted here was actually specific to LCA2017 and definitely not
relevant here; but it’s based on the actual LA code of conduct[1], which
does contain the same language.
[1]
https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/code_of_conduct.md
[2]