[Linux-aus] Linux Australia engagement with Open Source Initiative - community feedback sought

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Thu Jun 29 15:37:11 AEST 2017

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all continuing to be awesome, and big #hugops to those of
you who've been dealing with Petya over the last few days.

One of the actions I had from the 22nd June Council meeting was to bring
to you a topic for discussion that's been at Council for a few weeks now
- to seek input and feedback, and to provide Council with an informed
set of views on which to take some concrete next steps.

        Background

The Open Source Initiative was formed almost twenty years ago, and
developed, and safeguards the Open Source Definition.

https://opensource.org/about

Our vision, mission and values overlap strongly and are centred around
advocating for open source technologies

The OSI is a 501(3)(c) charity in the USA (equivalent of Australian DGR
status).

They are a membership based organisation and their main stream of
revenue is membership, with some sponsorship.

        Possible methods of engagement

  * *Reciprocal membership *- OSI's business model is raising funds
    through membership. It would be possible for OSI to extend
    membership to Linux Aus members, for instance if Linux Aus paid a
    lump sum each year. While there wouldn't be specific, direct
    benefits for individual Linux Australia members through this
    approach, other than the benefits of OSI membership, it would help
    grow the membership base of OSI and more indirectly, international
    networks /connections.

  * *Linux Aus becomes organisational member of OSI* - similar to the
    relationship we have with auDA, Linux Australia could become an
    organisational member of OSI. OSI refers to this type of membership
    as 'Affiliates'. https://opensource.org/affiliates/about

  * *Sponsorship* - one of the ways we could support the OSI is through
    Sponsorship https://opensource.org/sponsors#sponOps

  * *Other* - are there other ways we could or should engage?

        What should we do?

We'd now like to seek feedback from the community to help us engage in a
way that you're supportive of. Feel free to reply to this list, to
Council (council at linux.org.au), or to myself or any other Council Member
if you would like to provide confidential feedback - your privacy will
be protected.

Kind regards,
Kathy

--