[Linux-aus] [Announce] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Dec 27 05:16:30 AEDT 2017

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017, Linux Australia President wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:58:05
> From: Linux Australia President <president at linux.org.au>
> To: linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au, announce at lists.linux.org.au,
>     council at linux.org.au, media at linux.org.au
> Subject: [Announce] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source
>     Australia?
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Linux Australia is an incorporated association, registered in the state
> of NSW, and has been in operation since around 2001. Initially convened
> as a vehicle to operate linux.conf.au, the organisation's remit,
> activities and scope have broadened significantly over the last decade
> and a half.
>
> We think it's time to change the name of the organisation to
> better reflect our widened mission, values, activities, partnerships and
> influence.
>
> But wait, hasn't this been tried before?
>
> Yes. In 2012/2013, the Linux Australia Council, led then by John
> Ferlito, attempted a name change. Consensus could not be reached on a
> name to change *to*, and so Linux Australia remained Linux Australia.
>
> This time, we're learning from the outcome of that process, and would
> like to present to you a decision:
>
> Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia (Yes/No)
>
> Other aspects of the organisation - constitution, makeup and so on, are
> not proposed to be changed.
>
> We're communicating this now to provide the community with time to
> discuss this proposed change before the AGM, where the resolution will
> be tabled in the AGM agenda. The result of the vote will be tabled
> at the AGM. That is, if the majority vote 'No', we won't change the
> name. If the majority vote 'Yes', we will.
>
> If you are a member of Linux Australia, you will be able to vote on this
> resolution at:
>
> https://www.linux.org.au/membership/index.php?page=view-election&id=25
>
> Voting will open 25th December 2017, the same time voting opens for
> Council Elections, and will close on 21 January, the same time voting
> closes for Council Elections.
>
> Let the discussion begin.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kathy
>
> --
> Kathy Reid
> President
> Linux Australia
>
> 0418 130 636
>
> president at linux.org.au
> http://linux.org.au
>
> Linux Australia Inc
> GPO Box 4788
> Sydney NSW 2001
> Australia
>
> ABN 56 987 117 479

Hello.

Another aspect of this has occurred to me.

Some people may remember that, in previous years, I took issue with
Linux Conferences being held in New Zealand, whilsty the organisation
name was Linux Australia and the name of the organisation, and, the
domain name (linux.conf.au) was also not inclusive of NZ.

In the first paragraph above, is

"
> Linux Australia is an incorporated association, registered in the state
> of NSW, and has been in operation since around 2001. Initially convened
> as a vehicle to operate linux.conf.au, the organisation's remit,
> activities and scope have broadened significantly over the last decade
> and a half.
"

Whilst the web site at
https://linux.conf.au/
appears to not include a history of the venues of past conferences, at
https://linux.org.au/LCA
is shown that venues for prevous years, include
2006 - Dunedin: University of Otago (NZ)
2010 - Wellington: Wellington Convention Centre (NZ)
2015 - Auckland: University of Auckland (NZ)
so it appears to be held more frequently in NZ, than in each state of
Australia (every four or five years in NZ, and, as Australia has about
six states, that is more frequesntly than in each state  (otherwise, it
would be about a seven or eight year cycle)) ).

Now, the point here, is that, as stated above, Linux Australia was
"Initially convened as a vehicle to operate linux.conf.au", then, the
question arises;
if a change to the name of Linux Australia, is proposed, to change the
name to "Open Source Australia (OSA)", then, why not, more
appropriately, propose that the name be changed to Open Source Australia
and New Zeand (OSANZ), to, more properly, reflect that the operations of
Linux Australia, encompass new Zealand (which, whether some Australians
like it nor not, IS a separate country)?

After all, some of you may (or, may not be aware of the FSANZ; at
http://www.foodstandards.gov.au
is

"
Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) is a statutory authority in
the Australian Government Health portfolio. FSANZ develops food
standards for Australia and New Zealand. "

and at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Standards_Australia_New_Zealand
is

"
Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) (Māori: Te Mana Kounga Kai
- Ahitereiria me Aotearoa), formerly Australia New Zealand Food
Authority (ANZFA), is the governmental body responsible for developing
food standards for Australia and New Zealand.

FSANZ develops food standards after consulting with other government
agencies and stakeholders. The recommendations made by the body are open
and accountable, and based upon a rigorous scientific assessment of risk
to public health and safety.

All decisions made by FSANZ must be approved by the Australia and New
Zealand Food Regulation Ministerial Council, which is composed of the
Health Minister from each of the Australian states and territories, and
the Health Minister from New Zealand, as well as other participating
Ministers nominated by each jurisdiction.
"

So, as, over the years, Linux Australia has expanded its operations, to
include New Zealand, surely, it is appropriate, for Linux Australia to
recognise (after over two hundred years of the existence of New Zealand
as a country, rather than a colony) New Zealand as a separate country,
in which Linux Australia also operates, by, in proposing a change of
name for Linux Australia, to "Open Source Australia", amending that
proposal to change the name, instead, to "Open Source Australia and New
Zealand (OSANZ)".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale