[Linux-aus] [Announce] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia?

Andrew Pam xanni at glasswings.com.au
Sat Dec 23 18:06:21 AEDT 2017

On 23/12/17 17:53, Michael Davies via linux-aus wrote:
> I think the Open Source Australia is the best fit for who we are, what
> we've been doing, (not just what we say we want to do), and who we've
> been supporting and representing.  Hence I'll be voting "Yes" :-)

What about the concerns of Open Source Industry Australia?  In their
newsletter released today they again expressed objections to Linux
Australia creating confusion by choosing Open Source Australia:

[[ We note that Linux Australia has put forward to its members a
question on renaming itself to "Open Source Australia" (OSA). We hope
that they will reconsider, given the remarkable similarity of the names
OSA & OSIA. We note the alternative suggestion of "Open Source
Communit{y,ies} Australia" (OSCA) which some Linux Australia members
have put forward and we believe that that would help delineate more
clearly the respective roles of the two organisations.

Whilst that decision will ultimately be one for Linux Australia and its
members, we've been encouraged by the dialogue we've had with the Linux
Australia Council in recent days. ]]

Regards,
	Andrew
--