[Linux-aus] [Announce] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Dec 22 04:20:21 AEDT 2017

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017, Linux Australia President wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:58:05
> From: Linux Australia President <president at linux.org.au>
> To: linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au, announce at lists.linux.org.au,
>     council at linux.org.au, media at linux.org.au
> Subject: [Announce] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source
>     Australia?
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Linux Australia is an incorporated association, registered in the state
> of NSW, and has been in operation since around 2001. Initially convened
> as a vehicle to operate linux.conf.au, the organisation's remit,
> activities and scope have broadened significantly over the last decade
> and a half.
>
> We think it's time to change the name of the organisation to
> better reflect our widened mission, values, activities, partnerships and
> influence.
>
> But wait, hasn't this been tried before?
>
> Yes. In 2012/2013, the Linux Australia Council, led then by John
> Ferlito, attempted a name change. Consensus could not be reached on a
> name to change *to*, and so Linux Australia remained Linux Australia.
>
> This time, we're learning from the outcome of that process, and would
> like to present to you a decision:
>
> Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia (Yes/No)
>
> Other aspects of the organisation - constitution, makeup and so on, are
> not proposed to be changed.
>
> We're communicating this now to provide the community with time to
> discuss this proposed change before the AGM, where the resolution will
> be tabled in the AGM agenda. The result of the vote will be tabled
> at the AGM. That is, if the majority vote 'No', we won't change the
> name. If the majority vote 'Yes', we will.
>
> If you are a member of Linux Australia, you will be able to vote on this
> resolution at:
>
> https://www.linux.org.au/membership/index.php?page=view-election&id=25
>
> Voting will open 25th December 2017, the same time voting opens for
> Council Elections, and will close on 21 January, the same time voting
> closes for Council Elections.
>
> Let the discussion begin.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kathy
>
> --
> Kathy Reid
> President
> Linux Australia

Won't the constitution be required to be changed, to implement the name
change, if the name change is approved?

Thence, if I am correct in that belief, would it not be more
appropriate, and, more efficient, to put a motion to change the
constititution, insomuch as changing the organisation name within the
constitution?

As Linux Australia is a NSW incorporated organisation, NSW laws are
applicable, and, I know not of NSW laws, so I do not know whether the
constitution would be needed to be amended, to implement such a name
change, if the name change would be approved, but, if the constitution
would need to be amended, to implement such a name change, it seems to
me, to be more appropriate, to go directly to a motion to be put, to
amend the constitution, insofar as (only) changing the name of the
organisation, especially, with the AGM coming, so as to avoid the need
for a Special General Meeting, to amend the constitution to change the
organisation name.

I am not saying whether the name should be changed, just suggesting
procedural efficiency (if what I am suggesting, is applicable).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."