[Linux-aus] [Announce] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia?

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Thu Dec 21 20:46:41 AEDT 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 19:58:05 +1100, Linux Australia President wrote:

> Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia (Yes/No)

I'll be voting (No) to this proposal, not because I'm against name change but
because I disagree with this particular name change.

Not only do I agree with the bulk of no objections thus far but more
importantly for myself, changing the name from "Linux Australia" to "Open
Source $Anything" represents a *significant* watering down of the ethical
position that for me at least, has underpinned LA from the start and the
LUGs that preceded it.

I'd support a name change that was more representative of our activities but
not one that waters down our ethos.

--
Craige