[Linux-aus] [Announce] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia?

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 20 22:50:17 AEDT 2017

My recollection of the previous name change attempt (without going over
the list archives) was that the lack of consensus on the proposed name
was only part of the issue (I would argue: not the main issue), and I
don't think the arguments for & against have moved a great deal since.
The things which seemed urgent to those pressing for change seem about
the same (i.e. that "Linux" doesn't cover all the things we're
interested in), and the things which seemed insufficiently justified
previously (viz., that a rebrand was necessary to avoid confusion, and
that any of the names proposed were obviously superior) seem roughly the
same now.

To my mind, the concern raised about the similarity OSIA is a
show-stopper for this particular proposal (of course, the vote may prove
me wrong), and I think the ball is back in the court of Kathy and those
who feel a rebrand is needed to justify another selection.

Paul