[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of Newcastle

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 4 17:55:37 AEST 2017

On 03/04/17 12:36, Mark Wallis wrote:
> ..
>
> *Project Name*: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science,
> Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the
> University of Newcastle

> There is currently a low level of FOSS software promotion within the
> course material used to teach these degrees. Worked examples,
> workshops and tutorial material is strongly Microsoft Windows focused,
> primarily due to this being the operating system installed in all
> computer labs at the university. The effect is that students feel less
> inclined to explore FOSS in UON courses such as Programming, Operating
> Systems, Compiler Design and Computer Networks.

> The primary aim is to promote FOSS earlier in undergraduate degree’s
> [sic] to ensure that students graduate with an increased knowledge of
> the FOSS environment.

Whilst there are many legitimate questions about the details of this
proposal, I'd like to mention that I think the aims of this project are
amongst the most important things Linux Australia can do, whether as
part of a grant or not.  My son started an undergraduate course in IT
this year, and he (being a Linux user) was amazed at how few students
and staff were familiar with Free Software.

Helping undergrad students to engage with FLOSS and providing support
for those who use & develop it are, IMO, essential for the future of
this organisation, and I would love to see us find a way to support
Mark's proposal in a way which aligns with our values.

Paul