[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of Newcastle

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Apr 4 12:39:23 AEST 2017

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 07:20:10 AM Mark Wallis wrote:
> > On 4 Apr 2017, at 12:35 am, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > I think it's good to have more Linux inclusion in university courses.
> > But I am concerned about paying for material of a limited scope.
>
> From that perspective, it would seem a sensible approach to partner with
> one of the larger open Universities and generate brand new course content
> to teach about FOSS. I believe there are a number of courses that are

True, but AFAIK they haven't applied.

> > But you could release new slides that are added to existing lecture
> > material, it wouldn't make a complete presentation, but it would be a
> > good start for someone who wanted to develop something similar.  If you
> > released the new slides that showed how to do things with Linux while
> > keeping the old slides showing how to do things with Windows secret that
> > would achieve the aims of Linux Australia.
>
> My only concern with this approach is the disruption to the flow of the
> course content. If students have to go “seek out” the alternate content
> then that could affect adoption rates, where if the alternate content is

No, you would provide a single source for the content that students use, as
well as a second source for the open parts of it that others can use.

> > In the past I released some diagrams for demonstrating concepts that I
> > was lecturing about under a free license.  Some people included those
> > diagrams in their own lectures so it seemed to do some good.
>
> We will be more than happy to search out and include those diagrams to
> reduce our workload :-)

https://etbe.coker.com.au/2007/04/11/presentations-about-se-linux/

Here are some of my diagrams if you are planning to lecture about SE Linux.