[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of Newcastle

Mark Wallis mark.wallis at newcastle.edu.au
Mon Apr 3 13:30:38 AEST 2017

Hi Mark,

> On 3 Apr 2017, at 1:22 pm, Mark Walkom <markwalkom at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Having these as open sourced materials for the larger community is a massive value add for your proposal. What is the possibility of that happening from your perspective?

I’ll admit there are complexities here. In the proposal I’ve committed to ensuring that any brand-new content we generate, for example, video’s we might record that present FOSS-centric case studies for students, will be released under a Creative Commons license.

The problem lies around any time where we take existing lecture material and “update” it to provide either FOSS-centric points of view or alternate steps for the students to work through. All existing lecture material is under a closed copyright by UoN. In that case, I won’t be able to release this “updated” material to the community.

We will always endeavour to generate ‘new’ content where we can so it can be released to the community. We also have to balance this though by ensuring the content “fits” into the existing course flow. If it doesn’t, then there is an increased likelihood that it won’t be consumed by the students.

Kind Regards,

Regards,
Mark.
Dr. Mark Wallis (Associate Lecturer)

School of Electrical Engineering and Computing
Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, 2308, NSW
AUSTRALIA

Webpage:
https://www.newcastle.edu.au/profile/mark-wallis