[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of Newcastle

Mark Wallis mark.wallis at newcastle.edu.au
Mon Apr 3 13:25:50 AEST 2017

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for the feedback.

> On 3 Apr 2017, at 12:57 pm, Brenda Aynsley <bpa at iss.net.au> wrote:
>
> How certain are we that these resources will not sit on a shelf and gather dust?  That is what likelihood is there that students will use  them or be given the opportunity to use them?

In regards to resource use, the team will work with the various lecturers to ensure the content is included in the 2018 courses. Courses are “cloned” from year to year, which will ensure the material will make it into the 2019 courses and beyond (unless the lecturer at the time specifically removes the content for some reason).

As to the likelihood of students using the material, what I’m aiming to achieve is to remove the current barrier of “oh, they have only provided Windows examples, I guess that is what I have to use”. I imagine the content will primarily be consumed by students that already have a passing interest in FOSS, but have previously been put-off by lack of course content. This is based on feedback I’ve been provided by students over the past 7 years teaching at UoN.

Kind Regards,

Regards,
Mark.
Dr. Mark Wallis (Associate Lecturer)

School of Electrical Engineering and Computing
Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, 2308, NSW
AUSTRALIA

Webpage:
https://www.newcastle.edu.au/profile/mark-wallis