[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of Newcastle

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Mon Apr 3 12:57:17 AEST 2017

On 03/04/17 12:06, Mark Wallis wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Please find below a grant application for your consideration. Please
> feel free to direct any feedback/queries to myself via the list.
>
> *Project Name*: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science,
> Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the
> University of Newcastle
>
> *Chief Investigator: *Dr. Mark Wallis, Distributed Computing Research
> Group, University of Newcastle (mark.wallis at newcastle.edu.au)
>
> *Project Aim/Description:*
>
> **
>
> The University of Newcastle currently offers under-graduate Bachelor
> degrees in Computer Science, Information Technology and Software
> Engineering. Courses from these degrees are taught from the School of
> Electrical Engineering and Computing across our Callaghan (Newcastle),
> Central Coast and Singapore campuses.
>
> There is currently a low level of FOSS software promotion within the
> course material used to teach these degrees. Worked examples,
> workshops and tutorial material is strongly Microsoft Windows focused,
> primarily due to this being the operating system installed in all
> computer labs at the university. The effect is that students feel less
> inclined to explore FOSS in UON courses such as Programming, Operating
> Systems, Compiler Design and Computer Networks.
>
> We propose to undertake a review of the course material being
> presented in the first 2 years of the above degrees. The review will
> identify all worked examples, tutorials and workshops which are
> presenting closed-sourced centric solutions. The outcome of this
> review will be a course development plan which aims to develop
> alternative or extended course material that covers alternate FOSS
> options available to students. The project will hire one undergraduate
> student to work with the chief investigator to develop the new course
> content during 2017, ready for students in 2018.
>
> Examples of the course material that will be generated includes:
>
>   * Worked-examples under Linux, rather than Microsoft Windows (for
>     example, instructions showing students how to install and
>     configure a compiler)
>   * Short 5-minute video’s presenting FOSS alternatives to tools
>     presented in the primary course material
>   * Short 5–minute video’s providing context of how the course relates
>     to Open Source (for example, a case study of Linux Kernel
>     development to be presented during the Operating Systems course)
>
> To comply with pre-existing copyright, any existing course material
> which is expanded to include content generated by this grant will
> remain under the existing copyright terms. Any new content, such as
> the video presentations, will be released under a Creative Commons
> license.
>
> The primary aim is to promote FOSS earlier in undergraduate degree’s
> to ensure that students graduate with an increased knowledge of the
> FOSS environment.

> [...]

I like the notion put forward by Mark.

How certain are we that these resources will not sit on a shelf and
gather dust?  That is what likelihood is there that students will use
them or be given the opportunity to use them?

cheers

brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley OAM, FACS CP, ACS Honorary Life Member
ACS Immediate Past President 2016 & 2017

ACS Partnering for Success

Mobile:+61(0)412 662 988 || Phone:+61(0)8 7127 0107
Skype/Yahoo/Twitter: baynsley
Mobile when I am out of Australia: +61(0)489 958 851