[Linux-aus] LCA2016 post event report

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue May 31 12:18:02 AEST 2016

On Mon, 30 May 2016 10:21:58 AM Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> The nature of miniconfs is that schedule changes are a fact of life and
> often these occur quite late through no fault of the miniconf organiser.
> Making schedule changes less onerous is therefore a good goal, even if it's
> something which will necessarily take some time to implement.

>   11:30 - 11:35  = Coordinated Break

The miniconfs have always been less formal than the regular talks.  In terms
of formality and attention to schedule it has always been keynotes > regular
lectures > miniconfs > BoFs.  I'm sure that some miniconf organisers tried to
make their miniconfs run to a strict schedule like the regular lectures and
some probably succeeded.  But I wonder if that is even desirable.  Being less
formal makes them more inviting to people who have never spoken at a
conference like LCA before which I think is good for building the community.

I believe that there are significant benefits for personal and career
development in giving lectures and tutorials for the Linux/FOSS community.
Also it's obvious that we aren't attracting new developers the way we used to.

For the regular lectures 5 minutes is the minimum time required to move
between lecture halls (and with no chance of a "hallway track").  For less
formal lectures it doesn't seem to be something we can achieve.