[Linux-aus] LCA2016 post event report

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Thu May 26 18:32:13 AEST 2016

On 26/05/16 07:44, Christopher Neugebauer wrote:
> Hi Kathy,
>
> I noticed that LCA2016 did a lot more work on the wiki as compared
> with previous years. I've some questions about it:
>
> The report on the conference wiki says:
>
> ''' The Wiki was up and ready with most conference information by
> early October 2015. This helped Delegates with their pre-conference
> experience enormously, and reduced the number of questions fielded in
> the Delegate Service application, RT, in the lead up to the
> conference. '''
>
> How did the team determine that the questions fielded were reduced?
> Was this in comparison with previous years?
Good question. This was based on the types of questions fielded in the
RT system in 2016, compared to our knowledge of the types of questions
fielded in 2012 (there was significant overlap between the core teams of
LCA2012 Ballarat and LCA2016). There were fewer "I can't find this type
of information on the Wiki" questions in 2016.

> Also, it appears as though the index pages "Information for speakers"
> and "Information for delegates" did not feature as highly in your page
> view counts when compared with pages that have traditionally been in
> the wiki. How did you determine that the IA of the web site was
> effective, in particular the separating out the various index pages?
Because several statements in the qualitative feedback in the survey
mentioned that the IA was effective. Additionally, the user journey
reports in Google Analytics also indicated that the user journeys were
short (ie page A, B then exit at C) rather than indicative of a user
base that was getting lost (A, C, F, G, exit at B).