[Linux-aus] LCA2016 post event report

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Wed May 25 07:29:47 AEST 2016

On 25/05/16 00:19, Steve Walsh wrote:

> On 05/24/2016 11:22 PM, Russell Coker wrote:
>> But I have one suggestion.  The report mentions the on-call number, I
>> think
>> that this is a great thing and something that more conferences should
>> do (I
>> think it's been around since the last LCA in Perth).
>
> LCA2008 had an oncall number, which entered a hunt-group of team
> mobile numbers out of hours. Pretty much every year since then has
> one, and they generally are referenced on the house keeping slides
> during the morning sessions.
>

>> I don't think that monitoring Jabber would be any additional effort
>> for whoever has the on-call phone

I respectfully disagree. Running linux.conf.au is an exercise in
managing many spinning plates, and part of the reason LCA2016 was
executed so brilliantly was because we had an amazing team behind us -
incredibly smart, supportive and switched on people. Running conf well
is about running it smartly - and this means reducing the number of
spinning plates wherever possible. Jabber is another plate to spin, that
doesn't remove any other plates.

Regards, Kathy