[Linux-aus] VPAC etc

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jun 20 23:43:04 AEST 2016

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 07:37:11 PM Noel Butler wrote:
> Volunteering requires a level of commitment...
>
> Harsh words? Maybe, but I don't live under a rock, don't expect someone
> else has it in hand, dont go round with fingers in my ears or walk on
> cotton friggin wool :)

You are being too harsh.  There are lots of reasons why volunteers can become
unavailable to do things that they had committed to do.  Even paid people
don't always do what they had been paid to do.  Ideally there will be people
monitoring the process and looking for other options if things aren't
proceeding to plan.

One thing that was cited as a partial explanation for the problems was
confusion about who owned which machine.  It seems to me that this could have
been alleviated if the LA people had worked with the LUV people.  I wouldn't
have told the VPAC people to unplug the LUV server if I thought there was a
possibility of active LA servers being unplugged at the same time (NB I told
them to unplug exactly one server - they shouldn't have unplugged more than
one).