[Linux-aus] VPAC etc

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jun 6 23:48:29 AEST 2016

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 11:24:07 PM Andrew Pam wrote:
> On 06/06/16 20:51, Russell Coker wrote:
> > http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/the-linux-distillery/72843-lin
> > ux- australia-hosting-woes-to-continue-under-current-mindset.html
> >
> > The above article will probably be of interest to some people here.
> > Comments are open.
>
> And sadly the comments are filled with self-centred outrage, claims that
> Russell's requests for some sensitivity in the use of language are
> "bullying" and complaints about "SJWs".  Oh no!  Russell is infringing
> on people's free speech by politely disagreeing!  It's political
> correctness gone mad!  I understand that people are upset about the
> underlying issues, but this is a poorly written article and the
> publication sorely needs a community manager to keep the comments on track.

It's doubly ironic that the Anonymous Coward is complaining that I'm
infringing his freedom of speech.  The first irony is that he believes that his
free speech requires that I have no free speech - free speech is not freedom
from people disagreeing, it's freedom for everyone to disagree!  The second
irony is that if IT Wire weren't so committed to this type of free speech they
would have cut him off long ago.

But the comment thread is educational.  Even by Internet standards it's
uncommon to see so much stupidity concentrated in one place.  I will blog
about this.

Back to the content of the article, while there are some complaints that could
be made about it (apart from the one I made) I think there is one noteworthy
point.  The question is asked why doesn't Linux Australia pay for hosting.  It
would be good if the council could answer that.  I don't think that LA should
necessarily pay for hosting, but I think it would be good if the members know
what services are in use and why the decision was made to not use Linode,
Hetzner, EC2, and other options.

As an aside the LUV server is now a VM on a Hetzner server.