[Linux-aus] SPF problems too

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Jan 15 20:05:58 AEDT 2016

On 15/01/2016 9:43 p.m., ac wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 21:27:34 +1300
> Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>>> example from today:
>>> Russel Post at mailhost.linux.org.au: 15:46:39 +1100 (AEDT)
>>> ac replied: 16:12:21 +1100 (AEDT)
>>> Stephen Rothwell replied: 16:01:40 +1100 (AEDT)
>>> Julian replied 17:16:45 +1100 (AEDT)
>>> But the actual list receive order is:
>>> Russel
>>> Stephen
>>> Russel
>>> Julian
>>> ac 1st email of (16:12) --> to list after 6pm
>>> ac 2nd email of (16:22) --> this email received at 6:12 pm
>> Did you in-fact check the headers of the emails that were delayed as
>> I suggested?
> the times above are from the headers...

I meant looking for greylisting lines, and/or comparing the various
received: lines in the same message header, to look for deltas as the
message moves from hop to hop.

Suffice to say that as far as other participants of the list are
concerned, your emails are _not_ being unduly delayed.

>> Steve's last email suggests you're far from moderated. Again, look
>> for a technical issue - not a malicious one.
>>
> have not received/seen any email from Steve? I guess it still has to
> come from list...
>
> regarding malice? who said anything about malice? :)
>
> if posts are moderated then they are moderated - this means that
> other posts, made after your post, may/will be sent to list before
> your post... this is "normal" for moderated lists... - no malice -
> normal... - but as this is not said anywhere, it seems kinda odd
> now though.. , so i guess now there is something to know :)

You seemed to be implying that you assumed you were being moderated
without having had any reason presented and threatening to depart the
group, presumably due to being unfairly targeted or victimised - thus
malice. Perhaps that's too strong a term. Anycase it appears this
concern is unfounded.  Steve's email was received by me at 21:14:50
+1300 which matches the header datestamp (which is the date attached by
the MUA).

> your further reply below starts from your listserv receipt after 6pm
> so, 16H22 was received by you, after 6pm - whereas other senders
> that sent after 16:22, was distributed by listserv before 6pm

II suspect you're not taking into account timezones. I am in New
Zealand, and operating some hours ahead of you, thus the apparent
difference. I'm not seeing messages arrive here out-of-order or with
undue delay.

> so, moderated list or timezone bug?
>
> First and obvious question: Is the list/me moderated?
>
> If not, then to look for the technical reason why the factual is
> happening :)

My last post on this as i've tried to make it clear multiple times now.
If you receive an email (yourself) that appears to have been delayed,
inspect its headers and compare the date: line with each of the
received: lines in order to look for where the delay might've occurred.
Steve Walsh has posted details on how to reach the people who run the
mailing list, if you detect an issue and can present details (or if you
suspect an issue, and cannot), they're the ones to ask about it.

Mark.