[Linux-aus] LA co-branding proposal

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Fri Jan 15 16:41:46 AEDT 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 11:12:41AM +1000, Craige McWhirter wrote:
> I would establish that sub committee to look at forming an umbrella
> industry body, of which LA would be a founding member.

> So my proposal would be:
> * To establish that new industry body to rival ACS.
> * Choose a sensible, broad name.
> * Invite meaningful membership from a broad range of disciplines and groups.
> * Establish a clear charter similar to what Kathy has envisioned for LA.

How would this be different to OSIA?

 * It's an industry body
 * It's got a sensible, broad name
 * It's got open membership that's a fraction of the cost of ACS
   membership

AFAICS LA could join OSIA right now for $155 pa plus $50 membership fee.

The big difference I see between OSIA and LA is that LA has a focus on
volunteer and community driven stuff (hence volunteer run conferences,
no paid staff, no membership drives, etc). I think you'd find it hard
running any sort of "umbrella industry body" that way, though -- industry
includes for-profits naturally, and who wants to do work to benefit
for-profits without getting a slice of that profit? So at that point,
why not just take OSIA over?

(If you've got anywhere near the energy/momentum to beat ACS at their own
game, you certainly have the energy to take OSIA over as far as I can see)

Cheers,
aj