[Linux-aus] Confound It @ MemberDB :)

Michael Cordover la at mjec.net
Tue Jan 12 09:42:48 AEDT 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016, at 22:26, David Lloyd wrote:

> I am tempted to alter the code to allow “equal preferences”, eg:

> 1.I’d prefer Person1;

> 2.I don’t care if Person2 or Person3 get second preference;

> 3.Then Person4;

> 4.And finally, I don’t care if Person5, Person6 or Person7 have fourth
>   place;

> 5.There may be other candidates that I have not voted for after this.

> But I don’t know if I could get the mathematical model right although
> I know enough about voting systems to know that someone’s probably
> modelled this type of voting.

I haven't looked into it in any detail, but I suspect you could use an
augmented Schulze method where the function d_v(i, j) (being the
function which normally returns 1 if voter v prefers candidate i to
candidate j and 0 otherwise) returns 1/n where v's preference for i =
v's preference for j, with n being the number of candidates for whom v
shared this preference (including i and j).

Having said that, I don't know what counting system MemberDB uses at
the moment...

Regards

Michael